7 Ways CBD Can Help With Sleep
It’s a well-known fact that most people aren’t getting enough sleep. Frantic and busy lives combined with anxiety, stress, and bad habits (like using your phone in bed) are commonly cited as being to blame for the sleep deprivation epidemic.
The bad news is that not sleeping enough is hazardous to your health; lack of sleep leads to car accidents, medical errors, and various health problems. The good news is that if you’re among the 70 million Americans living with insomnia, nightmares, or other sleep problems, CBD may be able to offer you relief.
In this article, we’ll explore how to use CBD for sleep issues and the best CBD products to use for sleep.
What Is CBD And How Does It Work?
CBD is one of over 100 hemp-extracted compounds that belongs to the cannabinoid family. These compounds can be extracted from marijuana as well, but any CBD oil for sale online is likely made from hemp for legal reasons. Another well-known cannabinoid is THC, but unlike THC, CBD does not get you high.
Cannabinoids like CBD interact with the body via a series of receptors – known as the endocannabinoid system – which regulates a number of different processes, including digestion, appetite, memory, mood, pain, and sleep. The human body actually creates its own cannabinoids, and it’s been theorized that these can become unbalanced, leading to health problems – much like a vitamin deficiency.
Many studies have found that supplementation of CBD and other cannabinoids can alleviate health issues such as migraine, IBS, PTSD, multiple sclerosis, and insomnia.
How Can CBD Improve My Sleep?
There’s several ways that CBD can help you in your journey toward better sleep:
- Lowers stress and anxiety.
- Helps you fall asleep faster and wake up feeling more refreshed.
- Encourages more restful and deeper sleep.
- Provides pain relief.
- Reduces nightmares.
It may surprise you to learn that despite its ability to promote relaxation, CBD is not considered a sedative. It actually encourages alertness and wakefulness, but it can make you sleepy at high doses.
What Type Of CBD Should I Use For Sleep?
CBD is available in several different forms. Among the most popular products are CBD oil tinctures, e-liquid (for vaping), capsules, and edibles (like gum, candy, and peanut butter).
All CBD products can be effective for sleep, but each type of product has its pros and cons. Tinctures allow for more experimentation with dosage, and because they are more concentrated than other products, they allow for higher doses as well. If you’re thinking of trying CBD for sleep and aren’t sure how much to use, we recommend starting with a tincture; that way, you can easily make adjustments until you find your effective dose.
This process requires a bit of patience and might involve some trial-and-error. If taking CBD earlier in the day, you can start with a low dose such as 5mg, gradually increasing every few days until you find your “sweet spot.” If taking CBD closer to bedtime, try starting with a moderate dose such as 15-25mg.
For more information about how to find the right dose, you can check out our comprehensive guide to CBD tincture dosing.
Where Can I Buy CBD For Sleep?
When shopping for CBD, there’s a few important things to keep in mind. Since CBD isn’t regulated, there are companies out there who are selling CBD products which may not be genuine. To find a high-quality CBD supplier, look for the following signs:
- Testing: Reputable CBD companies often use 3rd party testing to show that their products are genuine, potent, and contain the advertised amount of CBD.
- Sourcing: The hemp plant absorbs toxins from the soil it’s grown in – in fact, it does this so well that it was used to decontaminate radioactive soil surrounding the site of the 1986 Chernobyl explosion. That’s great news for the planet, but why should it matter to you? Well, if CBD is derived from hemp grown in toxic soil, your CBD may contain toxins such as heavy metals and pesticides. CBD companies should give some indication of the growing conditions of the hemp they use.
- Manufacturing: Not all CBD is created equal. The extraction method can introduce toxic chemicals into CBD products. Some suppliers looking to save money may skimp on extraction and opt to use cheap solvents such as butane and propane to extract CBD, which leave toxic residue behind in the final product. Other companies will either use ethanol extraction methods, or CO2 extraction, which results in the purest quality CBD.
At Every Day Optimal, our CBD products are made from high-quality industrial hemp that is free of heavy metals, pesticides, and other toxins. We use CO2 extraction to create the purest CBD products possible, and we have our products tested by a 3rd party lab to guarantee quality and potency. Our full collection of CBD products for sale includes tinctures, edibles, capsules, and more.
For sleep problems, we suggest starting with our 1000mg tincture which provides 16.6mg of CBD per ½ dropper dose. Or, if you’d like to try something more potent, our 1800mg tincture provides 30mg CBD per dose, while our 4000mg tincture offers 60mg per dose. We also offer Sleep Aid capsules containing 25mg CBD each, along with 7 other sleep-promoting ingredients.